Wednesday, January 30, 2013

All About Me


    My name is Brittany and I am 22 years old. I have lived in Pennsylvania since I was born, although from 13 years old to 17 years old I lived in Florida. I wasn't a fan of living in Florida, so I moved back here. I still go down to Florida once or twice a year to visit my family. My mom, step dad, and my two brothers still live there. I have had the same job for five years now, at a restaurant. Although school is my first priority I still work about 30 hours a week while going to school. I am attending Edinboro University for Early Childhood Education and Special Education. The reason that I want to focus on Early Childhood Education and Special Education is mainly because unlike many people I have the ability to help young children with disabilities. 
     Growing up my younger brother who is ten years younger than me had a teacher that was unable to help him learn. Her terrible teaching techniques made him eventually hate going to school. When she thought he was just ignoring her, he was actually loosing his hearing. She should have had the school conduct something similar to this YouTube video. A routine hearing test proved that he was about 2 weeks from loosing his hearing in one of his ears and had about 2 months left in his other ear. What the teacher should have done is noticed that he may have a speech and hearing problem and contacted my mother about how badly it was effecting his learning abilities. Although we could all tell that when my brother spoke it was difficult to understand him, nobody thought that it was as bad as it was. The teacher was eventually fired half way through the year because of her terrible teaching habits. My brothers' experience has helped when making my decision to become a teacher.   

     Technology is very important in schools. Students rely on technology for their homework and for the social aspects that they can gain. In many cases there are questions that students come up with that even the teacher cannot answer. When a student needs the answer the internet comes into play. The internet and the technology behind it makes it so much easier for students to learn about certain topics.

    Teachers need to embrace technology because there are many different ideas out in the world, and a great way to learn about them is through the internet. Some teachers do not have the ability to be creative in the classroom, with applications/websites such as pinterest it gives the teachers that do not have the creativeness become more creative. 


* I believe that children with special needs deserve to be treated equally in the classroom.  

7 comments:

  1. I am a waitress back at home too! I know how stressful the work environment can be. Personally, I think working as a waitress has helped with my communication skills because I used to be a very shy person. I think it is great that your little brother inspired you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry to hear about the teacher who couldn't help your brother and didn't pay attention enough to notice! I believe that all children, no matter special needs or not, deserve the same equalized attention in the classroom. My mom babysat an autistic boy from 4 weeks to 4 years old and it is amazing to work with them. I am also an Early Childhood and Special Educuation major, I want to make a difference in their lives so that they don't hate school, that they wanted to come to school. How couldn't you like Florida?! It is so warm and sunny and near beaches with NO SNOW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is incredible of you to take on a full-time job, working 30 hours a week, and be a student at Edinboro. Seems like you have a lot on your plate. The fact that your little brother has inspired you to want to help children with disabilities is so great. It shows others the type of personality you have, and to me, that's the greatest thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry about your brother's hearing loss and learning difficulties. But I think it's amazing how it inspired you so deeply to help other kids! Sounds like your brother has an awesome big sister :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also am a waitress back at home too! And we also have the same major. It's awesome that your little brother inspired you too become a teacher and help kids that need the right attention.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am truly sorry about your brothers hearing problems. But you seem to be a very supportive big sister and that is stellar in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am very sympathetic that your brother has hearing problems. I had problems with my hearing as a child due to constant ear infections. It also impacted my speech.

    ReplyDelete